Monday, February 22, 2010

Reflections, pitching session

Prince of Persia
Oh my dear good friend Xu Yecheng, he is so keen to be part of the project. Wish him good luck. The reason I refrained from applying to join his team is about how much time we have left and how much work we will have done by the end. I'm afraid time's not enough to get involved in such a big project. If they managed to make the timeline possible, then I'll be suspecting how much work will be assigned to my coursemates. Whatever cases, despite the actual amount of contributions they can make to the whole project I believe they will learn a lot if they have the heart.

Nimbus
Nimbus makes me think of the Xbox blockbuster Halo. It's not a game, but sounds fancy. I didn't quite get the point of the project last time. Still I can smell it. I can smell the potential of this data service, which is quite linked to the concept of cloud computing. It is going to be another revolutionary method in terms of enhancing productivity of today's information related industry. They do it well, they'll make big money out of it. Thinking of this I start slobbering..

World City Summit
What a hub Singapore is! Converging all kinds of conversations and talents from all over the world. This is again another example. I dare not speak big, but at least I can say Singapore is far more informative a place than cities near Shanghai back in my hometown. From time to time I feel blessed to be here, there are so many events year round for a student to keep up with the pace of the world's trend. To put meself in local governors' shoes, isn't this exactly what they must keep doing to hold the city under the world's spotlight? If cities like Singapore lose world's attention, they will fall behind.
Back to this particular event, I'm very interested in it personally. Many a time I thought to myself how blessed I am to live in such a wonderful age of mankind. We are born in such a fast developing period. Our civilization is in its booming golden age and, in general, men's life are getting better everyday thanks to the wisdom and intelligence of our specie. Then I start to fear. A golden age will always end, will it? it can end in many ways. wars, extraterrestrial intervention, or by unsustainable development.
War never changes, we civilians don't want it, yet some big powers can always start a fire.. but that's not the point, anyway it's unlikely to ruin our whole civilization. Btw, I don't think ppl are stupid enough to let things like nuking the whole planet in Sci-fis happen in real world.
Extraterrestrial intervention, it's even more unlikely, the sun's gonna live on for another billions of years before it will possibly explode. An asteroid hitting the earth has negligible probability. Even if such intervention comes, nothing we can do.
What involves the most human factor is the last one, about unsustainable development. I'm not knowledgeous, yet it's so easy to feel that the whole planet is in very bad condition. A summit like this provides a platform for governors from different parts of the world to learn from each other. Cities can learn from each other's successful experience as well as lessons of disasters. I believe this summit will be very constructive. Many governors' future policies will be affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment